Thursday, January 27, 2011

Stranded with Nicholas Sparks in a snow storm


You’ve heard the question “If you were on a deserted island and could pick someone to be there with you, whom would you pick” or another question “what three items would you want to have with you?” I’d like to change the scenario to “if there were a big snow storm (can you relate) and you were on the highway and had to be stranded at a nearby exit where there were stores what location would you pick if you knew you had to be there for up to a week?

I would pick the local chain bookstore and can think of a hundred reasons starting with the fact that they usually have a coffee bar. I like my mocha latte but give me a regular coffee with plenty of sugar and cream and I’m good to go. It’s a ritual at my house, nothing starts until hubby and I have our coffee. Most days that means 6 a.m. we’re drinking coffee and watching our favorite news channel. For hunger pains during those stranded days the bookstore café has a selection of sweet breads on hand.

It goes without saying that a bathroom for handling necessities and water to wash when needed is a plus. I’m not above washing my hair in public and somewhere in my bottomless purse there is a shampoo sample and I may even find a toothbrush along with breath mints. Now you know why men want to be stranded with a woman on the island because she has a purse with all the amenities. As far as exercise while I’m cooped up amidst volumes of books there are plenty of aisles to walk while I’m away from the gym. I may choose to clear the children’s storybook corner and start an exercise class with in-store exercise videos or tapes from the music section to relieve everyone’s stress on our island bookstore.

I could spend endless hours in the bookstore because I enjoy so many different types of written works. I love classics by Hemingway, Wolfe, Steinbeck and so many that I have yet to read. And then there are the hundreds of contemporary authors of fiction that I enjoy reading including several Tarheel authors like Charles Frazier, Jan Karon, Kaye Gibbons, Tim McLaurin and a favorite Nicholas Sparks. I’d settle down in one of the cushioned chairs with Nick’s newest release Safe Haven.

And I have a selection of preferred inspirational fiction writers like Janette Oke, Karen Kingsbury, Vonda Skelton, DiAnn Mills, Francine Rivers, Jerry Jenkins, Deborah Raney, Susan May Warren, Denise Hunter, Mary DeMuth, Eva Everson and Yvonne Lehman also a NC author. And this is the short list. So being stranded in the bookstore would not be too bad with these friends to keep me company.

I maintain a bookshelf at home full of books on hand to read and as reference material when doing writing assignments. I just can’t find enough time to read between my responsibilities, writing and other interest. This snow adventure will clear my calendar.

I’d sashay over to the Garden and Landscape section planning out my southern spring garden and dreaming of warmer days. I would search for some invincible plants that the resident deer detest and some project ideas for hubby to add to his ‘to-do list’. And you might find me camped out in the Cookbook aisle with Paula Deen or Rachael Ray until the supply of pastries were emptied from the coffee café. Then I’d steer clear of food pictures.

I would peruse the Historical section for books about the Victorian era, NC history, WW II, the writers of the Constitution, books on famous people like DaVinci, Monet, Thomas Jefferson, Sir Walter Raleigh, Frank Lloyd Wright and the Vanderbilts. And I could spend a few evenings reading the latest magazines like Writer’s Digest, Southern Living, Our State, Salt Water Sportsman and Coastal Living and then stack them for a make-shift pillow as I settle in for the night.

I hope the power stays own. I think I smell the coffee beans brewing now.

5 comments:

  1. Wow, Daphne--thanks for including me in your list of favorite authors. What an honor!!!

    Beautiful pictures, too. Did you take them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Vonda. And yes I took the photos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Daphne -- I loved this! You are very talented (writing, photography, painting.....wow!) Very entertaining! Think I'll go find a shampoo sample to throw in my purse! Can't wait to read your next entry!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Daphne, I enjoyed reading your post! I will give this question some thought... where would I want to be stranded near and who with. It reminds me of a question posed to me this past fall... if I could doing anything fun for 30 days, what would it be? The Lord led me to do this over a 4 month period. I kept a 30 Days of Fun journal. It was wonderful. I learned about what my true heart's desires are. These days freed me to be more creative with my work, removing barriers that kept me from painting. Thanks for sharing your artistic gifts in writing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like more of a heavenly vacation than a crisis situation to me! How long do you suppose it would take us to run out of interesting things to read? Probably decades...:-)

    ReplyDelete