Thursday, June 10, 2010

What I Did on Summer Vacation

Do you remember when you returned to school after having the summer off your teacher would have you write what you did on vacation. As a child we spent every Fourth of July week at Atlantic Beach in North Carolina. I have wonderful memories of many hours playing in the ocean, building sandcastles, going down to the boardwalk, riding the ferris wheel which was scary enough for me and eating seafood at the Sanitary Fish Market. I had been back from the writer's conference for about ten days when we left for the beach in Emerald Isle/Indian Beach for a week. I'm a beach girl at heart and have an outline for a book that will be placed in that familiar setting.

I had a great time with the family. Our son who is home from college was our tour guide. He came up with several trails for us to hike on, one of which I was afraid we would never find our way out. We also went to Hammock Beach Park and ferried over to Bear Island. I know they said we were not to take any vegetation or animals off the island. I didn't know it at the time, but the sand fleas were trying to escape the island and thought I would be a good mode of transportation. We were in the beautiful town of Beaufort later that day when I realized I had hundreds of bites on my legs and arms. But it was worth it to walk on the beach where my husband and I found about 15 sand dollars and other shells. There are no vehicles on the island, you can make reservations and bring a tent for overnight stay and they have bath facilities, just remember to use bug spray!

I had sometime to review my conference materials and plan for my current writing projects. I will focus on devotionals and some articles that I plan to submit for publication. The conference speakers shared a wealth of information that I'm still digesting. Recently I've been reading "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott. It's a very insightful book that was recommended when I took a college writing course a few years ago. And I heard through ACFW about Marlene Bagnull's bible study, "Write His Answer" and I'm working my way through that book.

Summer is a great time to visit your local bookstore or library and find a christian fiction book for hours of reading pleasure. Romance, historical, cozy mystery, chick lit or suspense are just a few to pick from. Some of my favorite authors are Susan May Warren, Karen Kingsbury, Kristin Billerbeck, Francine Rivers and you may like local author, Alice J. Wisler who currently has "Rain Song", "Sweet Tea" and soon to be released "Hatteras Girl" on the bookshelf. Christian Fiction makes a good gift too.

Hope you have a great summer vacation!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for writing about me! Sweet Tea is really titled HOW SWEET IT IS (my second novel that takes place in the Smoky Mountains). :-)

    Hatteras Girl is out, and I'm excited to be promoting it around North Carolina this month and next.

    Thanks!

    ~Alice J. Wisler

    ReplyDelete