Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Easter Sunday Memories


Easter is one of those childhood memories that is forever etched in my little girl mind. Not because I thoroughly understood the depth of Easter at such a young age. But because it was a time of anticipation as our mother would take us shopping for our Easter clothes and that would become that year’s Sunday dress at least until the weather turned cold again or we outgrew it. As a child I didn’t recognize that we were poor. We had a roof over our head and food to eat, not in abundance but enough. Our four bedroom, one bath modest rental home was a few steps from the little white sided, bell towered Episcopal Church we attended and across the street from the factory lined houses. I had six sisters, but Joy and I were two years apart and about the same size. So mom would dress us identically as if we were twins.

I remember the excitement of getting my very own, not hand-me-down black patent leather shoes. I would hold them up to check out the scuff free shine inhaling the smell of the patent leather. And I would receive a fresh new pair of white lace top socks. It was a thrill to slide my feet into those smooth lined never worn shoes that felt like I could float away. And the crown jewel was the new dress with its pink flowered print chiffon layered over sateen with a satin ribbon sash that made me feel like a princess. Underneath was a new crinoline slip that invoked little girl twirls. And we picked out color coordinated hats to accompany our dress along with white gloves.

I’m sure our parents sacrificed to provide such finery. We got to wear our new outfits first at the sunrise service; never complaining of being cold for fear mom would make us wear our worn out wool coat dampening the experience and then for Sunday School followed by the eleven o’clock service that ended with an Easter Egg hunt on the church grounds. We would walk back home and count our Easter eggs to see who found the most and receive our annual milk chocolate bunny in our basket. Dad would give each of us a live furry yellow baby chick that we kept for a while until it got too big and then dad would return them to the farmer down the road if it survived our handling.

Over the years I began to understand that Easter was more about the celebration of our risen Lord than new clothes or sugary colored eggs. And more importantly as a believer I understood the true sacrifice Jesus made in order that we can each celebrate this Easter.

Please leave a comment if you'd like to share a special Easter memory.

2"And behold, a severe earthquake had occurred, for an angel of the Lord descended from heaven and came and rolled away the stone and sat upon it…." 6"He is not here, for He has risen, just as He said. Come; see the place where He was lying." Matthew28:2&6

2 comments:

  1. Beautifully written, Daphne! You took me back to my own memories of pretty new Easter dresses and shiny black shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Daphne,
    Am certainly going to enjoy following your blog. I felt like I was right there w/you shopping and getting dressed for Easter Sunday. You go girl!
    Peg

    ReplyDelete